Uses old Rust 2015
|0.3.0||Jun 3, 2021|
|0.2.5||Nov 14, 2020|
|0.2.4||Jul 15, 2020|
|0.2.3||Jan 2, 2020|
|0.1.1||Mar 23, 2019|
#315 in Command-line interface
184 downloads per month
Used in 5 crates
unsegen is a library facilitating the creation of text user interface (TUI) applications akin to ncurses.
unsegen only provides a Rust interface.
The library consists of four modules:
- base: Basic terminal rendering including
Terminalsetup, "slicing" using
Windows, and formatted writing to
Widgetabstraction and some basic
Widgets useful for creating basic building blocks of text user interfaces.
- input: Raw terminal input events, common abstractions for application (component)
Behaviorand means to easily distribute events.
- container: Higher level window manager like functionality using
Containers as the combination of widget and input concepts.
The following libraries are built on top of unsegen and provide higher level functionality:
- unsegen_jsonviewer provides an interactive widget that can be used to display json values.
- unsegen_pager provides a memory or file backed line buffer viewer with syntax highlighting and line decorations.
- unsegen_signals uses unsegen's input module to raise signals on the usual key combinations (e.g., SIGINT on CTRL-C).
- unsegen_terminal provides a pseudoterminal that can be easily integrated into applications using unsegen.
unsegen is available on crates.io. You can install it by adding this line to your
unsegen = "0.3.0"
Here is a screenshot of ugdb, which is built on top of
For a fully fledged application using
unsegen, you can have a look at ugdb, which was developed alongside
unsegen and the primary motivation for it.
Some notes on implementation details
For simplicity, layouting is done in every draw call.
This, in conjunction with recursive calls to calculate space demand of widgets, leads to not-so-great asymptotic runtime.
However, I found this not to be a problem in practice so far.
If this is problematic for, please file an issue.
There are workarounds (caching the
draw-result of widgets) for which convenient wrappers can be implemented in the library, but have not so far.
unsegen is released under the MIT license.