21 releases (5 breaking)
Uses new Rust 2021
|0.8.0||Jul 14, 2022|
|0.8.0-alpha.1||Jun 21, 2022|
|0.6.0-beta.1||Jan 1, 2022|
|0.5.2||Dec 5, 2021|
|0.3.1||Mar 18, 2021|
#291 in Magic Beans
490 downloads per month
Used in 14 crates (7 directly)
LNP/BP Core Library
This is LNP/BP Core Library: a rust library implementing LNP/BP specifications https://github.com/LNP-BP/LNPBPs. It can be used to simplify development of layer 2 & 3 solutions on top of Lightning Network and Bitcoin blockchain.
The current list of the projects based on the library include:
- RGB: Confidential & scalable smart contracts for Bitcoin & Lightning
- Generalized Lightning Network
and it's reference implementation named
LNP node enabling:
- RGB extensions
- DLC extensions
- Lightspeed payments
- Multi-peer channels
- Faster lightning experiments (quicker adoption of eltoo, Taproot etc)
- LNP: Networking protocol for privacy-keeping and censorship-resistant applications, operating in both P2P and RPC modes (currently used as a part of Lightning network, but our effort is to make it more generic and usable even outside of LN). All services, developed by LNP/BP Standards Association (see points below) are made with LNP.
- BP node: Indexing service for bitcoin blockchain; more efficient & universal Electrum server replacement. In perspective - validating Bitcoin network node (using libbitcoinconsus)
The planned projects:
- Decentralized exchange for Lightning Network
- Bifrost Node: P2P LNP/BP network infrastructural node running
- Decentralized exchange information workflows
- Watchtowers (RGB-enabled)
- DLC oracle provider
- Anonymous intermediate storage for client-validated data (like RGB consignments)
- Storm storage providers (see below)
- Storm: Incentivised trustless storage and messaging protocol
- Prometheus: Decentralized trustless computing
Potentially, with LNP/BP Core library you can simplify the development of
- Discreet log contracts
- Implement experimental lightning features
- Do complex multi-threaded or elastic/dockerized client-service microservice architectures
To learn more about the technologies enabled by the library please check:
The development of the library projects is supported by LNP/BP Standards Association.
The library provides the code for:
- RGB: confidential smart contracts with client-side validation, with Lightning network support
- Improvements & utilities for Bitcoin protocol
- Deterministic commitments that can be embedded into for Bitcoin transactions and public keys (DBC)
- Single-use seals
- Client-side validation
- Lightning networking protocol (LNP)
- Generalized lightning network
This code supports both Bitcoin blockchain and Lightning network.
The library is built as a single Rust crate with the following top-level mods:
- paradigms: generic paradigms (API best practices) which are not bitcoin-specific
- bp: Bitcoin protocol extensions external to Bitcoin Core functionality and existing BIPs. These may also cover those of LNPBP standards which are not specific for other layers.
- lnp: Lightning Network protocol extensions: networking, generalized lightning channels and better layerization of BOLT specifications
- rgb: smart contracts for Bitcoin and Lightning network based client-side validation, deterministic bitcoin commitments and single-use seals.
- standards: other LNPBPs standard implementation which does not fit into any of the categories above
The library is based on other projects:
- rust-secp256k1-zkp for Pedersen commitments and Bulletproofs used in confidential state inside RGB protocols
Get the dependencies
On Debian, run
sudo apt-get install cargo libssl-dev libzmq3-dev pkg-config g++ cmake
On Mac OS, run
brew cargo pkg-config zmq
Clone and compile library
Minimum supported rust compiler version (MSRV): 1.56.1, due to edition 2021 requirements
git clone https://github.com/lnp-bp/rust-lnpbp cd rust-lnpbp cargo build --release --all-features
The library can be found in
You can run full test suite with:
Please refer to the
for more detailed instructions.
Use library in other projects
Add these lines to your
Cargo.toml file at the very end of the
lnpbp = "~0.2.0" lnpbp_derive = "~0.2.0" lnpbp_services = "~0.2.0"
Contribution guidelines can be found in a separate CONTRIBUTING file
Policy on Altcoins/Altchains
Altcoins and "blockchains" other than Bitcoin blockchain/Bitcoin protocols are not supported and not planned to be supported; pull requests targeting them will be declined.
See LICENCE file.