|0.18.2||Jul 11, 2023|
|0.18.1-rc.2||Jun 29, 2023|
|0.17.2||Feb 22, 2023|
|0.16.7||Dec 22, 2022|
|0.11.3-rc.5||Jul 24, 2021|
#145 in Web programming
239 downloads per month
Used in lemmy_server
About The Project
Lemmy is similar to sites like Reddit, Lobste.rs, or Hacker News: you subscribe to forums you're interested in, post links and discussions, then vote, and comment on them. Behind the scenes, it is very different; anyone can easily run a server, and all these servers are federated (think email), and connected to the same universe, called the Fediverse.
For a link aggregator, this means a user registered on one server can subscribe to forums on any other server, and can have discussions with users registered elsewhere.
It is an easily self-hostable, decentralized alternative to Reddit and other link aggregators, outside of their corporate control and meddling.
Each Lemmy server can set its own moderation policy; appointing site-wide admins, and community moderators to keep out the trolls, and foster a healthy, non-toxic environment where all can feel comfortable contributing.
Why's it called Lemmy?
- Lead singer from Motörhead.
- The old school video game.
- The Koopa from Super Mario.
- The furry rodents.
- Open source, AGPL License.
- Self hostable, easy to deploy.
- Clean, mobile-friendly interface.
- Only a minimum of a username and password is required to sign up!
- User avatar support.
- Live-updating Comment threads.
- Full vote scores
(+/-)like old Reddit.
- Themes, including light, dark, and solarized.
- Emojis with autocomplete support. Start typing
- User tagging using
@, Community tagging using
- Integrated image uploading in both posts and comments.
- A post can consist of a title and any combination of self text, a URL, or nothing else.
- Notifications, on comment replies and when you're tagged.
- Notifications can be sent via email.
- Private messaging support.
- i18n / internationalization support.
- RSS / Atom feeds for
- Cross-posting support.
- A similar post search when creating new posts. Great for question / answer communities.
- Moderation abilities.
- Public Moderation Logs.
- Can sticky posts to the top of communities.
- Both site admins, and community moderators, who can appoint other moderators.
- Can lock, remove, and restore posts and comments.
- Can ban and unban users from communities and the site.
- Can transfer site and communities to others.
- Can fully erase your data, replacing all posts and comments.
- NSFW post / community support.
- High performance.
- Server is written in rust.
- Front end is
- Supports arm64 / Raspberry Pi.
- lemmy-ui - The official web app for lemmy
- lemmyBB - A Lemmy forum UI based on phpBB
- Jerboa - A native Android app made by Lemmy's developers
- Mlem - A Lemmy client for iOS
- Dart API client
- Reddit -> Lemmy Importer
- lemmy-bot - Typescript library to make it easier to make bots for Lemmy
- Reddit API wrapper for Lemmy
- Pythörhead - Python package for integrating with the Lemmy API
Support / Donate
Lemmy is free, open-source software, meaning no advertising, monetizing, or venture capital, ever. Your donations directly support full-time development of the project.
- If you want to help with translating, take a look at Weblate. You can also help by translating the documentation.
Logo made by Andy Cuccaro (@andycuccaro) under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license.