|new 0.3.1||Jun 17, 2021|
|0.3.0||Jun 15, 2021|
|0.2.1||Mar 31, 2021|
|0.2.0||Nov 23, 2020|
|0.1.3||Aug 14, 2020|
#99 in Text processing
160 downloads per month
Used in 3 crates (2 directly)
A rich-text processing library suitable for KAS and other GUI tools.
What it does (or plans to) do:
- Provides a representation for rich-text
- Manages loading and selection of fonts (partial)
- Transforms input text to a sequence of positioned glyphs
- Performs line-wrapping and alignment
- Supports bi-directional text
- Supports font shaping via HarfBuzz (optional:
shapingfeature; requires HarfBuzz library)
- Simple integrated "shaper" supporting kerning
- Provides helpers for text editing / navigation
- Fast line-wrapping when only width changes
- Scale well to large documents
What it does not do:
- Draw glyphs — this is left to other libraries such as glyph-brush
- Directly handle text editing — this is mostly about handling input, however this library does provide helper methods for navigating prepared text
What it arguably should do, but is beyond the current scope:
- Support font fallbacks for missing glyphs
- Emojis, vertical text, sub-ligature navigation, correctly positioning multiple diacritics, and many more details
kas-text only concerns text-layout, all examples here are courtesy of KAS GUI. See the examples directory.
Contributions are welcome. For the less straightforward contributions it is advisable to discuss in an issue before creating a pull-request.
Testing is currently done in a very ad-hoc manner via KAS examples. This is facilitated by tying KAS commits to kas-text commit hashes during development and allows testing editing as well as display. A comprehensive test framework must consider a huge number of cases and the test framework alone would consitute considerably more work than building this library, so for now user-testing and bug reports will have to suffice.
The COPYRIGHT file includes a list of contributors who claim copyright on this project. This list may be incomplete; new contributors may optionally add themselves to this list.
The KAS library is published under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0. You may obtain a copy of this licence from the LICENSE file or on the following webpage: https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0