16 stable releases
✓ Uses Rust 2018 edition
|new 1.8.0||Aug 15, 2019|
|1.5.0||Dec 22, 2018|
|1.4.0||Nov 4, 2018|
|1.3.0||Jul 17, 2018|
|1.0.2||Feb 9, 2018|
#26 in Audio
125 downloads per month
Used in 1 crate
This repository contains sys and binding libraries (crates) for connecting to PulseAudio (PA) from the Rust programming language.
These are provided for each of the three system libraries:
The sys crates provide basic interfaces to the raw C APIs, while the bindings add Rust-oriented higher-level abstractions on top of these. (It is the bindings that you should prefer to make direct use of in Rust applications).
See the respective library sub-directories for details.
Please see the separate
COMPATIBILITY.md file for discussion of PA version compatibility.
These bindings were not produced by the PulseAudio project, they were produced by an independent developer - Lyndon Brown.
All parts of these binding libraries are fully open-source and free to use.
All files in this source code repository, except as noted below, are licensed under the GNU Lesser
General Public License (LGPL) version 2.1+. (See file
LICENSE-LGPL for details).
This matches the current licensing of PulseAudio itself.
A popular alternative to GPL/LGPL, especially I have noticed in the world of Rust crates, is a dual MIT and Apache-2.0 licensing model. I would license this project under such a model, however unfortunately I believe that there is a strong possibility that it would be considered a ‘derivative work’ of PulseAudio, and as such is constrained to LGPL by the licensing of PulseAudio itself.
Thus you may freely consider this project available under said dual MIT and Apache-2.0 licensing only under one of the following conditions:
- Either, should I be wrong about the ‘derivative work’ principle, i.e. that there is no actual restriction imposed by the PulseAudio LGPL license on my bindings being licensed under this alternate model. (In which case please inform me thusly).
- Or, you are granted license to use PulseAudio itself under such licensing, removing the barrier to use of these bindings under same.
- Or, should the PulseAudio project grant explicit permission for this project to be licensed under such a model.
- Or, should the PulseAudio project grant you explicit permission to use these bindings under such license, i.e. an exception to their LGPL ‘derivative work’ restriction.
The files within the ‘includes’ directory, have been copied directly from the PulseAudio source. These files are kept for development purposes only (to be compared through diff checking against future versions to find changes that may need propagating into the bindings). To be clear, they are not used in any compilation processes. They are licensed under LGPL by the PulseAudio project.
The binding and sys libraries provided in this source code repository have been built upon the public API of PulseAudio, as described by the PulseAudio ‘include’ files, with documentation in particular largely copied from those files.
The logo image files are a combined derivative of the Rust programming language icon and the PulseAudio icon, taking core elements from each. I apply no specific image-oriented license upon them (I am not familiar with such licenses). As a substitute, subject to any constraints of licensing of those original images, I freely permit use on a common-sense fair-use basis. For instance, you may freely make use of them in articles discussing this project (should anyone ever care to do so). Feel free to make your own such derived logos, I make no claim upon it being an original idea.
- includes/ - A copy of the original C header files the bindings have been built to interface with.
- pulse-binding/ - The main high-level binding library.
- pulse-binding-mainloop-glib/ - The high-level binding library for the GLIB mainloop.
- pulse-binding-simple/ - The high-level binding library for the PulseAudio ‘simple’ component.
- pulse-sys/ - The main raw C API interface library.
- pulse-sys-mainloop-glib/ - The raw C API interface library for the GLIB mainloop.
- pulse-sys-simple/ - The raw C API interface library for the PulseAudio ‘simple’ component.
- workspace/ - Just part of the Cargo workspace setup.