✓ Uses Rust 2018 edition
|0.0.8||Apr 26, 2019|
|0.0.7||Apr 24, 2019|
#8 in Games
69 downloads per month
Entry for Ludum Dare Jam 44. April 26th-29th 2019.
Idea: It's a platformer like Super Mario, except featuring a skateboarding skeleton. It's like what Super Mario would be if it was made by the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater team. Probably. Pull off some gnarly tricks to earn as many points as possible.
I started work on the graphics assets ahead of time and as such, I will be opting out of the graphics voting category.
- Debian 9 – 64 bit – skeleton-mans-amateur-skater_amd64-stretch.deb
- Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS / KDE Neon User Edition 5.15 / etc. – 64 bit – skeleton-mans-amateur-skater_amd64-bionic.deb
sudo apt update sudo apt install libasound2 libssl1.1 libx11-xcb1 libfreetype6 sudo dpkg -i skeleton-mans-amateur-skater_*.deb
- 2d graphics
- Music will be central to the game
- Simple but pleasing graphics, coherent in style
- Easy to get into. Player must be able to figure out the objective of the game within 20 seconds
Rust + Amethyst
- Cast votes for voting round 2
- Formulate initial ideas
- Create page for game on Indie DB
- Choose between using Amethyst or just Rust-SDL2
- After voting round 3 opens, evaluate and update ideas
- Come up with a good title
- Cast votes for voting round 3
- Cast votes for final voting round
- After final voting round opens, evaluate and update ideas
- Hook up keyboard and drummachine to computer plus with headphone monitoring
- Set up OBS, camera and audio (incl instruments) for streaming on Twitch
- Focus on game mechanics and music
- Have a few people test the game as soon as possible during development and iterate based on feedback
- Add screenshot to readme
- Publish on itch.io
- Any work necessary for the game to run on Windows and macOS
- Post-mortem write-up on Indie DB. Share it on HN and Reddit
- Post-mortem video on YouTube?
First, install the Rust 1.34.0 toolchain. Do so using https://rustup.rs/.
Next, follow the instructions below.
sudo apt install libasound2-dev libx11-xcb-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev
sudo apt install libasound2-dev libx11-xcb-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev \ python3 libexpat1-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev
(Regular Debian 9 install might include some of these already. This list applies with a Docker image I am using.)
cargo build --release
cargo install cargo-deb
See https://github.com/mmstick/cargo-deb for details about cargo-deb.