#tools #gamedev

bin+lib shader-crusher

A little helper to optimize glsl shaders for size

10 unstable releases (3 breaking)

0.4.1-alpha Aug 27, 2022
0.4.0-alpha Aug 26, 2022
0.3.12-alpha Aug 26, 2022
0.3.11-alpha Jul 22, 2022
0.1.3 Apr 7, 2021

#264 in Compression

Download history 12/week @ 2023-10-25 25/week @ 2023-11-01 8/week @ 2023-11-08 7/week @ 2023-11-15 20/week @ 2023-11-22 48/week @ 2023-11-29 17/week @ 2023-12-06 18/week @ 2023-12-13 18/week @ 2023-12-20 19/week @ 2023-12-27 13/week @ 2024-01-03 5/week @ 2024-01-10 15/week @ 2024-01-17 17/week @ 2024-01-24 18/week @ 2024-01-31 6/week @ 2024-02-07

57 downloads per month
Used in omt

MIT license

27KB
620 lines

Danger - Status

Works for me, but might wipe your harddisk.

Windows Status MacOS Status Linux Status

What?

Takes a glsl shader, removes white space, comments, etc, and replaces symbols/identifiers/type names by shorter ones that compress better.

Why?

I got tired of installing mono to get shader-minifier working, and needed something that I could embedd into my tools.

Why rust?

Because. And I want to learn rust.

And it's portable, and fast, and future proof.

Usage

Commandline

cargo run --help

cargo run -- --input shader.glsl --output shader_crushed.glsl

Use --blacklist "dont,crush,these" or


// code

#pragma SHADER_CRUSHER_OFF

// code

#pragma SHADER_CRUSHER_ON

// code

to keep certain identifiers untouched, e.g. uniforms that you need to resolve externaly. Keywords, built-in functions, and 'main' are automatically blacklisted.

Embedded/Linked

From C/C++

shader_crusher::ShaderCrusher* pShaderCrusher = shader_crusher::shadercrusher_new();
shader_crusher::shadercrusher_set_input( pShaderCrusher, fragmentString.c_str() );
shader_crusher::shadercrusher_crush( pShaderCrusher );
char* pOutput = shader_crusher::shadercrusher_get_ouput( pShaderCrusher );
fragmentString = std::string( pOutput );
shader_crusher::shadercrusher_free_ouput( pShaderCrusher, pOutput );
shader_crusher::shadercrusher_free( pShaderCrusher );

Don't forget do include the cbindgen generated header file, and link against the lib.

Stats

I only used it on my shaders so far, but on average the crushed size is 60%, or 40% if you further compress (e.g. with UPX/Crinkler/kkrunchy).

Soon

(because I want it)

  • Allow blacklist via c-api.
  • Add revalidation of output.
  • Run against piglet suite.
  • CI system with testing

Future

(aka not going to happen anytime soon)

  • Dead code removal
  • Smart replacement of repeated blocks
  • Multishader passes for smart extraction of shared code

Help

  • Run this against your shader, and see if it breaks anything, and what compression ratio you get.
  • Fix #52 in the glsl crate (too many braces).
  • Fix #110 in the glsl crate (whitespace in defines).
  • The swizzling blacklist is totally wrong, but gets the job done for now.
  • '#define's could be fixed, but I was lazy.

Dependencies

~6MB
~102K SLoC