4 stable releases
|1.1.3||Apr 28, 2023|
|1.1.2||Mar 26, 2023|
|1.1.0||Apr 18, 2020|
|1.0.0||Mar 29, 2020|
#626 in Command line utilities
95 downloads per month
Used in file_endec
Command line utility that safely deletes files.
- Repeatedly overwrite the file content with random data and specific patterns.
- Rename repeatedly to hide that the file ever existed.
- Remove access- and modification time.
- Truncate then delete the file.
Run the shredder with Docker:
docker run --rm -it -v "$(pwd):/data" mverleg/file-shred -- file.txt
You can mount any directory in which you want to shred files; the above example uses the current directory
To build the image yourself (instead of downloading from Dockerhub), clone the Github project and run:
docker build -t mverleg/file-shred .
This will also run the tests and lints, to verify that your version is okay.
You can shred files like
shred file.txt image.png /tmp/stuff/*
There are command line options for various things::
USAGE: shred [FLAGS] [OPTIONS] <FILES>... FLAGS: -v, --debug Show debug information, especially on errors. -h, --help Prints help information -k, --keep Destroy the data, but do not rename or delete the file. Useful for non-regular files like special system devices. -y, --no-confirm Delete files without asking for confirmation. -q, --quiet Do not show progress or other non-critical output. -V, --version Prints version information OPTIONS: --overwrite-count <overwrite-count> Number of times the file is overwritten (at least 1). [default: 10] --rename-count <rename-count> Number of times the file is renamed.
- Create an instance of
::file_shred::ShredConfig, options largely correspond to the command-line ones.
- In particular note
confirmation_prompt=falseif there might not be an interactive session present.
- Call the
::file_shred::shredfunction and pass this config.
Keep in mind that:
There are no security guarantees, and the author is not a professional security expert. Use at your own risk.
- Obviously, be careful. The purpose of this tool is to irrecoverably delete data. I cannot help you get data back if you delete it by accident.
- Note that data recovery difficulty depends on the environment (operating system, hard disk formatting, physical medium). For some configurations, overwriting may not work.
This is used by