|5.2.2||Aug 31, 2020|
|5.2.1||Jul 8, 2020|
|5.1.0||Jun 27, 2020|
|4.10.3||Jun 25, 2020|
|4.10.0||Mar 26, 2020|
#47 in Text processing
75 downloads per month
A little game designed for primary kids to revise vocabulary in classroom. Setting up the vocabulary list is part of the learning process.
Hangman is a paper and pencil guessing game for two or more players. One player thinks of a word, phrase or sentence and the other tries to guess it by suggesting letters or numbers, within a certain number of guesses. In this version for children the computer selects a word, phrase or sentence randomly out of a word-list defined in a configuration file. As a reward, with every guessed letter, some ASCII-art is gradually disclosed.
ASCII-ART HANGMAN FOR KIDS ,. (_|,. ,' /, )_____ __j o``-' (") `-j `-._( |_\ |--^. /_]'|_| /_ /_]' / Lifes: 7 Last guess: k g o o d l u _ k Type a letter, then press [Enter]:
ASCII Hangman is available as a Web-Application and as a Desktop-Terminal-Application for several architectures. Try ASCII-Hangman-Web-App online.
- simple, non distracting user interface,
- setting up word lists is part of the learning process,
- visual non distracting reward system with 50 built-in ASCII-art images,
- no built in traditional gallows image,
- designed for group learning in classroom,
- fully configurable:
- design own ASCII-art (depending on the learning subject) and associate it to a word list,
- provide the user with hints by disclosing some characters from the start,
- web-application: play without installation,
- desktop versions: play without network access,
- open source software: guaranteed availability, always free of charge.
The first versions of ASCII-hangman were published as desktop versions only. With the rising of cyber-crime and the following security related restrictions, it became more and more difficult for teachers to install their own software. This is why from version 5.0 on, ASCII-hangman is also available as web-application.
Read more in ASCII-Hangman's user manual.
Binaries for latest release (Linux, Windows, iOS)
Open the latest release.
Download the packed executable for your operating system.
Installation: see below.
Binaries and packages (usually built from latest commit):
Executable for Windows:
Binary for Linux:
Package for Debian and Ubuntu:
Zipfile with all binaries and documentation:
This section describes how to download and build the desktop version of ASCII-Hangman.
Install Rust, e.g.
curl https://sh.rustup.rs -sSf | sh
Download, compile and install:
cargo install ascii-hangman sudo cp ~/.cargo/bin/ascii-hangman /usr/local/bin
See also the user manual for a more detailed installation description.
This project follows Semantic Versioning.
- Jens Getreu
- Apache 2 licence or MIT licence