35 releases (23 breaking)
Uses new Rust 2021
|0.24.0||Jan 5, 2022|
|0.23.0||Dec 20, 2021|
|0.22.1||Dec 14, 2021|
|0.21.0||Nov 29, 2021|
|0.2.1||Feb 26, 2021|
#10 in Operating systems
1,238 downloads per month
Zellij is a workspace aimed at developers, ops-oriented people and anyone who loves the terminal. At its core, it is a terminal multiplexer (similar to tmux and screen), but this is merely its infrastructure layer.
For more details about our future plans, read about upcoming features in our roadmap.
Zellij was initially called "Mosaic".
You can install with
cargo install zellij
The default plugins make use of characters that are mostly found in nerdfonts.
To get the best experience either install nerdfonts, or use the simplified ui by starting Zellij with
zellij options --simplified-ui true, or putting
simplified_ui: true in the config file.
Zellij is a labour of love built by an enthusiastic team of volunteers. We eagerly welcome anyone who would like to join us, regardless of experience level, so long as they adhere to our code of conduct.
Please report any code of conduct violations to firstname.lastname@example.org
To get started, you can:
- Take a look at the "Issues" in this repository - especially those marked "Good first issue". Those with the "Help Wanted" tag probably don't have anyone else working on them.
- Drop by our chat and ask what you can work on, or how to get started.
- Open an issue with your idea(s) for the project or tell us about them in our chat.
- Clone the project
- Install cargo-make with
cargo install --force cargo-make
- In the project folder, for debug builds run:
cargo make run
- To run all tests:
cargo make test
For more build commands, see
For configuring Zellij, please see the Configuration documentation.
Zellij should be ready for everyday use, but it's still classified as a beta. This means that there might be a rare crash or wrong behaviour here and there, but that once found it should be fixed rather quickly. If this happens to you, we would be very happy if you could open an issue and tell us how to reproduce it as best you can.
This section contains an ever-changing list of the major features that are either currently being worked on, or planned for the near future.
Share sessions with others - See the focused window and cursor of other users, work on a problem or a code base together in real time.- implemented in
- A web client/server - Connect to Zellij through the browser instead of opening a terminal window. Either on a local or remote machine.
- Support for multiple terminal windows across screens - Transfer panes across different windows and screens by having them all belong to the same session.
- Smart layouts - expand the current layout system so that it rearranges and hides panes intelligently when new ones are added or the window size is changed.