|0.11.1||Jun 8, 2020|
|0.11.0||Jun 8, 2020|
#2211 in Command line utilities
14:30:29 risto@GALACTICA /home/risto> ↪ since 13:00 1 hours and 30 minutes
Install with Cargo:
cargo install since
Now you should have the binary in
~/.cargo/bin/since (on Linux systems).
Semantic CLI utility for calculating time differences
↪ since -h since v0.11.0 Fetch time difference between <from> and <to>. If no parameters are given, will return time since UNIX epoch. Missing <to> argument will always default to current datetime. All subcommands share exactly the same functionality and arguments as base command, just filtering the output to different format. All values are generally rounded down. USAGE: since [ARGS] since <SUBCOMMAND> FLAGS: -h, --help Prints help information -V, --version Prints version information ARGS: <from> Start time or date. <to> End time or date, for custom range. Default is current datetime. SUBCOMMANDS: years Print the output in years (approx) months Print the output in months (approx) weeks Print the output in weeks (approx) days Print the output in days hours Print the output in hours minutes Print the output in minutes seconds Print the output in seconds
Supported date & time formats
All formats are hard-coded and chosen with the loose criteria of "what makes sense", the goal is to be intuitive, not exhaustive (yet).
DD MONTH YYYY(eg. Dec or December)
YYYY MONTH DD
Notes on functionality
- In spite of holy UI semantics, future values are also supported. All values are always absolute distances, thus no negative values should ever appear.
- All output (especially weeks/months/years) should generally be treated as "intuitive approximations",
due to ambiguity in the definition of
when has 1 $time_unit passed.
- All calculations are done in the local system's timezone
- Space-separated parameters must always be wrapped in quotes
- All naive times (eg. 12:15) are always intepreted as "today"
↪ date Mon 8 Jun 10:12:14 EEST 2020 # The original usecase, shorthand time calculations ↪ since 7:00 3 hours and 12 minutes ↪ since 24.12.2019 6 months ↪ since 24-12-2012T16:00:00 8 years # Explicit time output formats ↪ since hours 7:00 3 ↪ since minutes 7:00 192 ↪ since days 7:00 0 ↪ since days 24.12.2019 166 ↪ since months 24.12.2019 6 ↪ since years 24.12.2002 18 # Custom time ranges with explicit second parameter ↪ since minutes 14:00 23:45 585 # Mixing parameter formats ↪ since hours "24 December 2019 18:15:30" 2020-6-20 4286 # Unix epochs ↪ since 1591600334 ↪ since minutes 26526672 ↪ since years 50
git clone https://github.com/ryyst/since.git cd since cargo build --release
Now you can find the binary in
- Improve documentation
- More accurate year/month calculations
- A flag for decimal output
- Exhaustive time fractions for the "guessed" output
- eg. "1 years, 2 months, 3 days, 5 hours and 15 minutes"